Cleaning lipstick stains off your carpet can be a tricky matter. It’s hard to tell before it sets what the stain will look like and even harder to remove when it’s dried, but not impossible if you have the right supplies on hand and know where the stain is located. Try these steps for cleaning lipstick stains off your carpet:
Steps to Clean Lipstick From Carpet:
1. Blot the lipstick with a clean cloth or paper towel. The lipstick should be in the early stages of drying, so the blotting will remove most of the colour.
2. Scrape any dried lipstick out of the carpet using a spoon’s blunt edge or an old credit card. The goal is to remove as much as possible before using soap and water because soap and water can set the stain and make it more difficult to remove later on, once it has dried completely.
3. Mix your rubbing alcohol with water in an open container to create a solution. If you only have rubbing alcohol and water, you can use a 2:1 ratio instead.
4. Mix up the solution and rub it over the stain while gently pressing at it with a toothbrush or similar tool to work it into the carpet.
5. Allow the alcohol and water to sit for 5-10 minutes and rinse off with a mixture of soap and water to remove all traces of the rubbing alcohol from your carpet.
6. Use a scrub brush to scrub away the rubbing alcohol and any remaining lip stain. The area left untouched will have lip stains that had been removed.
7. Once the stain has been cleaned, vacuum up everything you can: rubbing alcohol, flooring materials, toothbrush, etc.
8. Allow the carpet to dry completely before using any product to freshen up the colour of the carpet or prevent any more colour from bleeding into it in future.
9 . If the spot hasn’t completely disappeared, you can repeat the whole process again and most likely get a perfect result. If the spot continues to bleed colour into the carpet even after several repeat cleanings, you’ll need to call in a professional carpet cleaning service.
Lipstick can leave stubborn stains on carpets. The good news is that they are usually easy to remove if you use the right products and methods – like those in this article. Follow the steps above and you’ll be able to remove lipstick stains from your carpet in no time.